- 17A: Be inactive, like a volcano (LIE DORMANT).
- 26A: Be in a favorable position (SIT PRETTY).
- 42A: Don't give in (STAND FIRM).
- 55A: Proceed very cautiously (WALK ON EGGS).
This is a fine Monday theme. Phrases are all gettable, even though I would quibble with WALK ON EGGS, which I've always heard as WALK ON EGGSHELLS. I see a couple words in the grid that seem pretty flashy even though they're clued completely straightforwardly (since it's Monday and all):
- 20A: Showing profound knowledge (ERUDITE).
- 48A: Satisfy by offering concessions (APPEASE).
- 10D: Puff the Magic Dragon's land (HONALEE).
- 13D: Warm and cozy (TOASTY).
- 29A: Tony of "Some Like It Hot" (CURTIS). This is one of those classic movies that everybody should see. The only difference between this one and the most of the rest of them is that I've actually seen it.
- 34A: TV surfer's selection (CHANNEL). Later in the week, to provide some misdirection/trickiness, we wouldn't get the "TV" part of this clue.
- 54A: Make a sharp turn (VEER). Here's one of those words that I hear misused all. the. time. A guy at a rental car place was giving me directions one time: "Take a right, then at the gas station you'll want to veer left …" I'm all, "Okay, so at the gas station I bear left?" Him: "Yes, veer left at the gas station." Sigh.
- 61A: Egyptian Christian (COPT). No idea. Got it totally from crosses.
- 1D: Singer Tormé (MEL). The Velvet Fog.
- 5D: Vitamin intake std. (US RDA). "Recommended Daily Allowance," also referred to as "Reference Daily Intake."
- 41D: "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack singers (BEE GEES).
- 43D: Holy Ohio city? (TOLEDO). From the familiar phase "Holy Toledo!"
- 50D: Wrestler's victory (PIN). I miss wrestling season.
Other crosswordese in the puzzle that we've already covered:
- 5A: Range dividing Europe and Asia (URALS).
- 46A: Dublin's land (EIRE).
- 23D: Revolve on an axis (SLUE).
- 53D: Nondairy spread (OLEO).
Everything Else — 1A: Trig or algebra, e.g. (MATH); 10A: "Java" trumpeter Al (HIRT); 15A: Brown-toned old photo (SEPIA); 16A: Basie's "__'Clock Jump" (ONE O); 19A: Johnson Space Center org. (NASA); 21A: Red bullring props (CAPES); 22A: To the extent that (AS FAR AS); 24A: Like many old movies (SILENT); 25A: Highlands family (CLAN); 32A: Brother's daughter (NIECE); 33A: Pro __: for now (TEM); 36A: __ chi: martial art (TAI); 39A: Bobby of the Black Panthers (SEALE); 40A: Remains of a wreck (DEBRIS); 47A: Go berserk (LOSE IT); 51A: '50s "The Tonight Show" host Steve (ALLEN); 52A: From abroad (FOREIGN); 58A: Crossword constructor's germ (IDEA); 59A: Spruce oneself up (PREEN); 60A: St. __'s fire (ELMO); 62A: Given to pouting (MOODY); 63A: Splinter group (SECT); 2D: Singer DiFranco (ANI); 3D: Supplier of firs (TREE FARM); 4D: Firefighter's water source (HYDRANT); 6D: Neglectful (REMISS); 7D: Give __ on the back (A PAT); 8D: "Come here often?" is one (LINE); 9D: H.S. senior's exam (SAT); 12D: Take offense at (RESENT); 18D: Lord's Prayer starter (OUR); 21D: Geometry shape (CIRCLE); 22D: Bank statement no. (ACCT.); 24D: Radar gun reading (SPEED); 27D: Word before self or sanctum (INNER); 28D: Oz Woodman's makeup (TIN); 30D: Stranded in winter, perhaps (ICED IN); 31D: Mine passage (SHAFT); 35D: Self-proclaimed "Greatest" boxer (ALI); 36D: Pool rack shape (TRIANGLE); 37D: Runs on TV (AIRS); 38D: "Understood" ("I SEE"); 39D: Show disdain for (SNEER AT); 42D: Like Serbs and Croats (SLAVIC); 44D: Catching z's (ASLEEP); 45D: Like cards in a crooked deck (MARKED); 49D: Showy perennial (PEONY); 55D: Typing test fig. (WPM); 56D: Maker of Terrain and Acadia SUVs (GMC); 57D: Boozehound (SOT).