Theme: Outdoorsmen — I'll try to explain it in the write-up.
- 17A: Jazz bandleader and lover of forests? (WOODY HERMAN).
- 36A: Former heavyweight champ and lover of mountains? (ROCKY MARCIANO).
- 60A: Ex-Dodger pitcher and lover of beaches? (SANDY KOUFAX).
The fill is pretty typical Tuesday fare. A good bit of crosswordese, lots of so-so entries, and a few stand-outs like INSIDER (21A: Source of a hot tip), GO PRO (48A: Give up amateur status), and FLEE FROM (6D: Try to escape, as pursuers). I'm guessing some people don't love that last one, but for some reason it struck me as fun.
- 1A: Jack's partner (JILL).
- 30D: California county in which Mount Whitney is partly located (INYO). Huh?
- 37D: "Kampgrounds" company (KOA). Fond memories of my roadtrip from Maryland to New Mexico where I mostly stayed at KOAs (except on Thursdays when I'd splurge for a hotel so I could watch "Seinfeld" and get really clean and the time I was passing through Del Rio, Texas, and got really sick and had to hole up in a hotel that I'm guessing hadn't quite made five-star status).
- 45D: Pecking order? (KISS ME).
Everything Else — 5A: Not exactly lined up (OFFSET); 11A: Stanford-Binet nos. (IQS); 14A: On the less breezy side, at sea (ALEE); 15A: Jacket part (SLEEVE); 16A: Actor's signal (CUE); 19A: Common Market inits. (EEC); 20A: Dazzling celestial events (NOVAE); 23A: 737, for example (PLANE); 25A: Singer Domino (FATS); 27A: Trig function (SINE); 28A: Corn unit (EAR); 29A: "No __!": emphatic denial (SIREE); 31A: Is able to, biblically (CANST); 32A: It may wash away castles (TIDE); 34A: Postal motto word (NOR); 35A: Yellowfin tuna (AHI); 41A: Madhouse (ZOO); 42A: Golfer's accessory (TEE); 43A: Base runner's goal (HOME); 45A: Divided Asian land (KOREA); 50A: Up to, briefly (TIL); 51A: Express line unit (ITEM); 52A: Lass (GIRL); 53A: Spiteful (NASTY); 55A: "Strangers in the Night" singer (SINATRA); 57A: Prefix with physics (ASTRO-); 59A: Sault __ Marie (STE.); 64A: Russian fighter (MIG); 65A: Postwar British prime minister (ATTLEE); 66A: Farm field unit (BALE); 67A: Ending for Vietnam (-ESE); 68A: Dwell (RESIDE); 69A: Like the Mojave (ARID); 1D: Mandible site (JAW); 2D: UN workers' rights agcy. (ILO); 3D: Kate's "Titanic" co-star (LEONARDO); 4D: Gave false hopes (LED ON); 5D: Workplace watchdog org. (OSHA); 7D: __-de-lance: pit viper (FER); 8D: Arab or Jew (SEMITE); 9D: Cowgirl Dale (EVANS); 10D: Change for a 20 (TENS); 11D: Stranded at the chalet, maybe (ICED IN); 12D: Brooklyn neighbor (QUEENS); 13D: Whispered thing (SECRET); 18D: Actor Montand (YVES); 22D: Old Testament prophet (ISAIAH); 23D: Teacher's favorite (PET); 24D: Home in the wild (LAIR); 26D: Faucet attachment (AERATOR); 31D: Greek X (CHI); 33D: Itchy rash cause (ECZEMA); 35D: Expert server (ACER); 38D: Showed over (REPLAYED); 39D: "Up to this point, no" (NOT SO FAR); 40D: Fail to include (OMIT); 44D: Bridge expert Culbertson (ELY); 46D: Ear inflammation (OTITIS); 47D: Go back on a promise (RENEGE); 48D: Meadowlands Stadium team (GIANTS); 49D: Not tricked by (ONTO); 52D: Fireplace feature (GRATE); 54D: Resort island off Venezuela (ARUBA); 56D: Ivan IV, for one (TSAR); 61D: Mid sixth-century year (DLI); 62D: Baba of fiction (ALI); 63D: Deleted, with "out" (X'ED).