4.30.2011

04.30 Sat

S A T U R D A Y
April 30, 2011
Barry C. Silk


Theme: None.

Wow. Really enjoyed this puzzle. Between the awesome clue for MATH MAJOR right at 1A (Michael Jordan began college as one) to RIN TIN TIN atop TÊTE-À-TÊTE in the southeast corner (58A: Shepherd of old radio / 60A: Where three's a crowd), I found this puzzle a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I promised Rex I'd cover his blog for him today, so I'm gonna have to cut this short. I know you all are like, "Wait, you're covering for Rex? What is wrong with you? Don't you know you just moved into a new house and you're a mess?!" I assure you, those are legitimate questions. But not questions I am prepared to answer at this time. Let me just say Barry, you're awesome, thanks to everybody else for stopping by, and I hope you'll get some gabbing done in the comments. Doug will be here with tomorrow's puzzle and I'll see you back here Monday.

[Follow PuzzleGirl on Twitter.]

Everything Else 10A: Leather leggings (CHAPS); 15A: Plants (SHRUBBERY); 16A: "Casbah" actor, 1948 (LORRE); 17A: Sex symbol of the silents (THEDA BARA); 18A: Very funny (ARIOT); 19A: Accessory (ADD-ON); 20A: Titans, e.g. (NISSANS); 22A: Current source (OUTLET); 24A: Negative sentiment (I HOPE NOT); 25A: "Wedding Day at Troldhaugen" composer (GRIEG); 26A: He got his only World Series ring in 2009 (A-ROD); 27A: Staff note (MEMO); 28A: "Viva-Vegas" link (LAS); 29A: Eastern quaff that's typically 18-25% alcohol (RICE WINE); 32A: 21-Down, e.g. (ELEMENT); 34A: They're assumed (ANONYMS); 38A: Motions (GESTURES); 40A: Want ad abbr. (EEO); 41A: Mosque leader (IMAM); 44A: "__ a hunch ..." (I HAD); 45A: Far from assertive (TIMID); 47A: Ariadne, to Minos (DAUGHTER); 49A: Archaeologists, at times (DATERS); 50A: Clique (IN-GROUP); 51A: "Going Rogue" author (PALIN); 52A: Three-time Clooney role (OCEAN); 53A: Adjacent to (ALONGSIDE); 57A: Old Scottish landholder (THANE); 59A: Like some bars (SANDY); 1D: Colorado hrs. (MST); 2D: Sound of recognition (AHH); 3D: Mill's "On Liberty," for one (TREATISE); 4D: Where plays may be discussed (HUDDLE); 5D: GMAT taker's goal (MBA DEGREE); 6D: Brother's keeper? (ABBOT); 7D: Name often seen before a hyphen (JEAN); 8D: #4 at Boston Garden (ORR); 9D: 2006 N.L. MVP (RYAN HOWARD); 10D: Necklace feature (CLASP); 11D: Jockeys (HORSEMEN); 12D: European satellite launcher (ARIANE); 13D: Nous or vous (PRONOM); 14D: Begins (SETS TO); 21D: Kelp nutrient (IODINE); 22D: Eye up and down (OGLE); 23D: River through Orsk (URAL); 24D: Fight cause, often (IRE); 26D: Behave suitably (ACT THE PART); 30D: As found (IN SITU); 31D: What oldies evoke (NOSTALGIA); 33D: Hollywood-themed Vegas hotel (MGM GRAND); 35D: Rial spender (YEMENITE); 36D: Rabin's '70s predecessor (MEIR); 37D: Fixes bare spots, in a way (SODS); 39D: Former Mideast gp. (UAR); 41D: Certain how-to book targets? (IDIOTS); 42D: La __: region of central Spain (MANCHA); 43D: Like the stables cleaned by Hercules in a single day (AUGEAN); 46D: "I disagree" ("IT ISN'T"); 48D: Love (HONEY); 49D: "Purgatorio" writer (DANTE); 51D: Bridge in Paris (PONT); 54D: Rest (LIE); 55D: Morse character (DIT); 56D: Wind dir. (ENE).

8 comments:

Elissa said...

Apologies for this flagrant abuse of the LA Crossword Confidential system, but ... I wanted to say to any avid solvers out there: Come to Crosswords LA tomorrow!!! Registration opens at 10. Opening remarks start at 10:45. Puzzles shortly thereafter ... www.crosswordsla.com

Brian said...

Clue for 15A should have been:
Knights of Ni request.
Since PG did not have time to post a link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbtcmjfKa8

Anonymous said...

This one didn't quite feel like a typical Silk Saturday. It was enjoyable but when I see that the Sat. puzzle is a Silk one, I look forward to several hours of digging thru the clues and finding an answer that may lead to another then another...

Dave in Bend, OR said...

I must confess the shepherd clue threw me for a loop and didn't realize that A-Rod has only one W.S. ring (kept thinking of Nolan RYAN but I don't think he even has ONE). Did not know that saki was so potent either. However does anyone else have an issue with "IT ISN'T" for I disagree? To say "it isn't" doesn't necessarily mean I disagree. As in "Is the train in yet?" Nope it isn't...Not a disagreement just s statement of fact. On the other hand if someone asked me if it was a good clue, I guess I'd have to disagree and say.... Nope it isn't. Pretty good Saturday challenge all in all though.

Mark said...

The bottom third of the grid was trouble for me today. I liked MGMGRAND and NOSTALGIA.

Anonymous said...

As usual, I very much enjoyed this puzzle! Thank you, Barry Silk!

Surprised by the math major, but had to laugh about Michael Jordan and Jockeys in the same puzzle.

Had one little struggle: I had "act ones age" for 26D, otherwise smooth sailing, excuse the indirect pun.

mac said...

The last comment wasn't meant to be anonymous. Let's try again.

*David* said...

I timed myself on this one in preparation for the LA Xword competition and my plodding self got it finished in just over 20 minutes, not too bad. Biggest problem was I kep on knocking my head in the NW section and didn't just move to another section.

I really started moving through the bottom and then crept my way back up to the top and finally opened it up with MATH MAJOR.

Very excited about tomorrow and a bit nervous.