7.04.2011

07.04 Mon

M O N D A Y
July 4, 2011
Peter A. Collins


Theme: Independence Day — Theme answers are related to Independence Day.

Theme answers:

  • 39A: Chief author (who died 7/4/1826) of 5- and 9-Down (THOMAS JEFFERSON).
  • 5D/9D: Document signed 7/4/1776 (THE DECLARATION / OF INDEPENDENCE).
  • 7D/51D: Chief congressional advocate (who died 7/4/1826) of 5- and 9-Down (JOHN / ADAMS).
Okay, this is funny. I first read the clues for THOMAS JEFFERSON and JOHN ADAMS as "The [blah blah blah] who died of 5- and 9-Down." Like THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE was some kind of disease or something. Took me a few minutes to figure that out. HAha! So this is a fine puzzle and obviously timely. But you know what I'm going to do today? I'm going to take the day off. I can do that, right? (The cool thing is that even though I just asked that question, I can't actually hear your answer!) I think it's okay for me to do that today so I'm going to. You all go ahead and chat it up in the comments and I'll see you back here tomorrow.

Crosswordese 101 Round-up:
  • 20A: UFO pilots, in theory (ET'S).
  • 34A: Bruin Bobby who wore #4 (ORR).
  • 53A: Video game pioneer (ATARI).
  • 66A: Moray fisherman (EELER).
  • 32D: 1944 battle city (ST.-LÔ).
Follow PuzzleGirl65 on Twitter

Everything Else 1A: Racecourse setting for a "My Fair Lady" scene (ASCOT); 6A: IHOP beverages (OJ'S); 9A: Unseats (OUSTS); 14A: Coach Bill whose 49ers won three Super Bowls (WALSH); 15A: Highchair user (TOT); 16A: Camera setting (F STOP); 17A: Fill with joy (ELATE); 18A: "__ will be done ...": Lord's Prayer (THY); 19A: Prefix with -clast (ICONO); 20A: UFO pilots, in theory (ET'S); 21A: Speak dully and endlessly (DRONE ON); 24A: Actor Beatty (NED); 25A: Fate (KISMET); 27A: Stick (to) (ADHERE); 29A: Sprinted (RACED); 31A: Starting squad (A TEAM); 32A: Dote on (SPOIL); 34A: Bruin Bobby who wore #4 (ORR); 36A: Chopin's instrument (PIANO); 42A: NASA vehicle (LEM); 43A: Cheers for (ROOTS ON); 44A: Like Robitussin: Abbr. (OTC); 45A: GM navigation system (ONSTAR); 47A: Danish birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen (ODENSE); 49A: Drew, as a magnet (ATTRACTED); 53A: Video game pioneer (ATARI); 56A: Org. for drillers? (ADA); 57A: Innocent ones (NAIFS); 61A: "Bedtime for __": Reagan film (BONZO); 62A: Used a chair (SAT); 63A: Nav. officers (CMDRS.); 64A: Sir Arthur __ Doyle (CONAN); 65A: HBO alternative (TMC); 66A: Moray fisherman (EELER); 67A: Ollie's partner (STAN); 68A: Bat wood (ASH); 69A: Matches, as a bet (SEES); 1D: See 38-Down (A WEEK); 2D: 1972 U.S./Soviet missile agreement (SALT I); 3D: Pupils' places (CLASSROOMS); 4D: East, to Ernst (OST); 6D: Director Preminger (OTTO); 8D: Eye malady (STYE); 10D: Pac-10 sch. (USC); 11D: Worker with rocks (STONE MASON); 12D: Copier filler (TONER); 13D: Fine china brand (SPODE); 22D: GPS suggestion (RTE.); 23D: Feedbag grain (OAT); 26D: Injure badly (MAIM); 28D: What can't be parted after it's departed? (HAIR); 30D: School where belts are earned (DOJO); 31D: Sounds from pounds (ARFS); 32D: 1944 battle city (ST.-LÔ); 33D: Withdrawn diet-drug combo Fen-__ (PHEN); 35D: Like a gen. who no longer has men (RET.); 37D: Have-__: the needy (NOTS); 38D: With 1-Down, every seven days (ONCE); 40D: Put mail in boxes, say (SORT); 41D: Third of a yard (FOOT); 46D: "__ of the Apes" (TARZAN); 48D: Mingo portrayer on "Daniel Boone" (ED AMES); 50D: Certain Jamaican believer (RASTA); 52D: Hidden problem (CATCH); 53D: Preschool basics (ABC'S); 54D: Honk (TOOT); 55D: Kournikova of tennis (ANNA); 58D: Not doing anything (IDLE); 59D: Gratis (FREE); 60D: Lith. and Ukr., once (SSR'S).

18 comments:

Sfingi said...

Nice patriotic puzzle. Theme clue should have had a comma, as per PG.
My mom is 92 today.

Had mAiM before HARM. WAnted FrAN instead of STA, planet instead of TARZAN, and NPR instead of TMC.

slypett said...

Doesn't it just kill you when constructors put the last part of a split phrase first? What's with AWEEK coming before ONCE? I nearly threw down the latter, but, wisely, waited for crosses.

Conrad said...

I'm curious about the layout of the grid. Symmetry is out the window, which is unusual, yes? I'll assume it's intentional. Do the black areas make a picture I can't see? Is it a secret American code, like something in a Dan Brown book?

Anyhow, even as a non-United-States-ican, I still thought the theme answers were a little too easy today.
I didn't mind though, since the fills seemed to pick up the slack nicely. ASCOT, OUSTS, ICONO, KISMET ADHERE, ODENSE, NAIFS; and those are just the Acrosses! (1, 9, 19, 25, 27, 47 and 57 respectively)

Argyle said...

It is mirror symmetry; left matches right, split vertically down the middle.

Conrad said...

@Argyle - ok, yeah. Maybe "out the window" was a bit of hyperbole. But still, unusual, right?
Just wondering if anybody sees something I missed (as is often the case...)

CoffeeLvr said...

Today is my son's 24th birthday. I won't be with him, as he is working, but I went to see him last week for an early celebration. Small world, huh, @Sfingi. Best wishes to your mother.

I found the puzzle a little uneven, with some crunchy answers for Monday, many listed by @Conrad. KISMET! That SW corner looks like fun, with BONZO, STAN, and CONAN (take your pick of which one) on a TOOT.

A great 4th to all.

badams52 said...

Puzzle was fine for a patriotic day. I had the same hang-up as PG. Died of 5 and 9 down? At this point I already had the THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE so I was thinking, now which of them died because of the declaration of independence.

Anyone else have planet "of the apes" before TARZAN "of the apes"? Maybe I'm the only one who does the downs first.

Echo @Conrad's sentiment of good words like KISMET, ADHERE. Would like to add BONZO and ONSTAR as words I enjoyed.

Happy 4th.

Anonymous said...

I see the symetry and all the (stone/free) Masons thrown in -- tin-foil-hat on ;-) Happy 4th to all!

Anoa Bob said...

The unusual grid pattern caught my eye right away. And then it hit me---BOOM!! It's a 4th of July fireworks display! The two els, one reversed, at the bottom form the launch tube, the tee shape in the upper middle is the exploding charge and the other black squares make up the cascading, glittering fall-out pattern.

Very clever Mr. Collins. Happy 4th all.

Reno911 said...

SE corner had me fumbling for a bit. No idea who Ed Ames was plus knew there couldn't be 2 free's side by side and the dropping of the u threw me off. Happy 4th!

Joon said...

PG, enjoy your day off.

the symmetry is indeed left-right instead of rotational today. that's necessary because the theme answers wouldn't fit into a traditionally symmetric grid, certainly not with the kind of elegant interlock on display here. very nicely done. and conrad, there's no such thing as "too easy" on a monday.

CP said...

SE corner a little forced, but otherwise a nice Monday puzzle. Bedtime for BONZO, a political thriller for the ages!

gdp said...

Who's scandalous initials are PTL?

Mary in Bend, OR said...

"Who's scandalous initials are PTL?"

@gdp: That's "Praise the Lord" -- Jim and Tammy Fae Baaker. This dynamic duo fleeced their flock with a TV ministry back in the 1980s. She wore more eye makeup than Lady Gaga.

Nighthawk said...

Nice, fun Independence Day puz.

Watched the season finale of Treme last night and loved seeing TOOT Toot today. Eh, Cher?

@Reno911-the only thing you need to know, and will never forget, about Fess Parker's Indian sidekick on the show, Ed Ames.

Rube said...

@Nighthawk, thanks for the EDAMES clip. I've seen it before but it still is hilarious.

Thanks also @MIBO. I forgot to thank @CCL for enlightening me on PTL last week.

Good patriotic puzzle, but I just finished yesterday's LAT, (I can't do that and the NYT on one day), and will make SNELL my WOTD. Interesting knot. Will have to add it to my repertoire.

mac said...

Nice 4th of July puzzle.

Oddly enough, I had no problem with the puzzle, but the comments were harder to follow! Not bad at all, I'm learning.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the Declaration of Independece was signed on August 2, 1776. Just saying....,,