Theme: "Homophone Syllables" — Let's see ... how do I explain this? Theme answers are words that have part of their spelling changed to create a new wacky word that sounds like the original word. The new spelling in each word isn't random, though. The new spelling is an word in itself which, of course, is what creates the wackiness. Whew. Orange should be along any minute with a concise description of this theme.
[Note: This is the puzzle that appears in the Sunday L.A. Times newspaper. If you don't get the paper, you can find the puzzle here. Scroll down to see the write-up of today's syndicated puzzle.]
- 21A: Category the Pentagon uses instead of "other"? (MISSILEANEOUS) [miscellaneous]
- 32A: Process of growing grass for cows? (PASTUREIZATION) [pasteurization]
- 41A: Habit of giving your word to everybody but never keeping it? (PROMISECUITY) [promiscuity]
- 50A: Social system under which nothing ever gets better? (FUTILEISM) [feudalism]
- 63A: The fan mail that backup singers get? (CHORUSPONDENCE) [correspondence]
- 72A: Organically grown herbal medicines? (FARMACEUTICALS) [pharmaceuticals]
- 83A: Of an age when pork and mutton were pretty much all you ate? (MEATYEVAL) [medieval]
- 91A: Having a sweet taste that kind of sneaks up on you? (SYRUPTITIOUS) [surreptitious]
- 104A: Contemptuous of rubdowns done by women? (MASSAGEYNISTIC) [misogynistic]
- 118A: Pertaining to puzzle events that benefit charities? (FILLINTHROPIC) [philanthropic]
- 12A: Cousin of a clog (SABOT). Learned it from crosswords.
- 17A: More like fresh cake (MOISTER). I do not like the word moist. Unsurprisingly, I also do not like the word moister.
- 18A: Elroy's dog (ASTRO). From the Jetsons cartoon.
- 25A: Old electrical unit that's 31 Down backward (MHO). Sometimes Merl puts an iffy answer in the grid, but then gives you a hint about it in the clue so that it's still gettable. (31D is OHM [Resistance unit].)
- 48A: Subj. with projects (SCI.). PuzzleSon created a model of an oxygen atom just yesterday for a fifth-grade science project.
- 70A: Some with
obscenecontroversial salaries (CEOS).
- 115A: Radical '70s grp. (SLA). Hey, another radical political group from the past!
- 123A: Skunk's defence (ODOUR). The british spelling of defence in the clue hints at the British spelling in the answer.
- 125A: Type of rehab (DETOX). I don't know. To me detox and rehab are two different things.
- 7D: Intro to "is it hot!" (MAN). Love this kind of clue/answer, which you see a lot in Merl's puzzles.
- 13D: Ball's guy (ARNAZ). Note to the reader who wants to comment that it's supposed to be spelled Arnez: No, it's not.
- 17D: Hanson's smash single of 1997 (MMMBOP). I have never knowingly heard this song. I thought about posting the video here but I decided not to. You're welcome.
- 69D: Rocket from Roddick (SERVE). Tennis great Andy Roddick.
- 75D: Ali, before (CLAY). In 1964, Cassius Clay changed his name to Muhammad Ali.