Theme: "That Hurts!" — Theme answers are familiar phrases with the word OW inserted into them creating new wacky phrases clued "?" style.
[Note: This is the syndicated L.A. Times puzzle. It does not appear in the actual newspaper, but is available for free at cruciverb.com.]
- 23A: Distinctive Farrah Fawcett feature? (SHOWY LOCKS).
- 29A: Candlemaker's monthly receipt? (TALLOW ORDER).
- 41A: Rollerblading partner of movie camera pioneer Bell? (HOWELL ON WHEELS).
- 67A: Methods of separating chaff from grain? (WINNOWING WAYS).
- 90A: People afraid of playing the stock market? (TRADING COWARDS).
- 108A: Borders for oval paintings? (BOWED FRAMES).
- 115A: Including Monopoly money in a trousseau? (DOWRY HUMOR).
- 1A: Illinois-based brewery (PABST). I believe this is a favorite of a certain puzzle constructor we all know and love. (Hi, BEQ.)
- 27A: "The Banger Sisters" costar (HAWN). I never saw this movie, but I knew that Susan Sarandon was one of the sisters. Couldn't come up with the other one without crosses though.
- 33A: Coinage (SPECIE). I don't know what this means.
- 60A: Jalapeño feature (TILDE). That's the little squiggly line over the N.
- 62A: Returning lover's question (MISS ME?). Oh, I had a little trouble here too. I initially entered kiss me which, of course, isn't a question at all. Plus I had yips for YAPS (54A: Sharp barks). Both of those errors combined to make AMNESIAS (55D: Identity crises?) hard to see.
- 66A: __ Karate: old aftershave (HAI). Never heard of it so I looked it up in Wikipedia. There I learned that the brand had an offensive ad campaign that I just knew I'd want to share with you.
- 77A: Ted Williams wore it (NINE). So did Roger Maris.
- 98A: Copter's forerunner (GIRO). I don't know what this means either.
- 124A: Whimpered (PULED). I don't think I've ever seen this word before. But it means just what it says.
- 7D: __ homo (ECCE). A Latin phrases commonly translated as "Behold the man."
- 9D: "Wild Bill" Donovan's WWII org. (OSS). Office of Strategic Services. This comes up from time to time so try to remember it!
- 63D: Houlihan portrayer (SWIT). Loretta Swit played Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan in the television series M.A.S.H.
- 69D: Former "SNL" character Father __ Sarducci (GUIDO). Funny guy. He has a book that's a series of letters he wrote to famous people and companies and the responses he received. The one I remember off the top of my head is where he wrote to McDonald's to ask why they pictured a packet of jelly in their Egg McMuffin ad when, clearly, no one would put jelly on their Egg McMuffin. Stuff like that.
- 91D: Massage deeply (ROLF). Massage deeply sounds good. Rolf sounds bad.
- 104D: Become a pair without an affair (ELOPE). Cute clue!
Roundup of Past CW101:
- RCAS (20A: Some antique radios).
- ENOS (39A: Son of Seth).
- SRI (71A: Hindu honorific).
- ÉPÉE (119A: Heaviest modern fencing weapon).
- PASHA (1D: Former Turkish title).
- ST.-LÔ (13D: Normandy battle site).
- EDAM (89D: Mild Dutch cheese).
- RARA (109D: __ avis).
Everything Else — 6A: Chilean cash (PESO); 10A: Crones (HAGS); 14A: Magna __ (CARTA); 19A: Correspond (AGREE); 21A: Share a border with (ABUT); 22A: Haughty (ALOOF); 25A: Earth (SOIL); 26A: "Really cool!" ("NEATO!"); 28A: Fits to __ (A TEE); 31A: One at a brayer meeting? (ASS); 32A: Where the uvea is (EYE); 35A: Whole (ENTIRE); 36A: Herbal array, perhaps (TEA BAGS); 40A: Bluffing strategies (RAISES); 44A: Sacramento's ARCO __ (ARENA); 46A: Actor McKellen (IAN); 47A: Key to getting out of trouble? (ESC); 48A: Big brass (TUBAS); 53A: On a liner, e.g. (ASEA); 56A: Sources of cabinet wood (ALDERS); 59A: Response to being cut off (HONK); 64A: Single show (EPISODE); 72A: Display case (ÉTAGÈRE); 74A: Know somehow (INTUIT); 75A: Frequently (OFTEN); 78A: What the heirs split (ESTATE); 81A: Conception (IDEA); 83A: Diminishing returns (LESS); 84A: Entr'__: theatrical intervals (ACTES); 86A: Proverb ending? (-IAL); 87A: Bonding words (I DO); 88A: TV producer Norman and a tragic king (LEARS); 95A: 1990s Toyotas (PASEOS); 99A: Tennis wear item (SNEAKER); 102A: Trying experience (ORDEAL); 103A: Search __: online aid (ENGINE); 105A: Scot's cap (TAM); 106A: Corn Belt st. (NEB.); 110A: Laundry basketful (LOAD); 112A: The Mideast's __ Strip (GAZA); 113A: As a friend, to Fifi (EN AMI); 114A: State as true (AVER); 117A: "__ Grows in Brooklyn" (A TREE); 118A: Actor Santoni (RENI).