Theme: "Make Like a Banana …." — Theme answers start with synonyms for "splitting."
- 17A: Critters with powerful jaws (SNAPPING TURTLES).
- 27A: Program interruption (BREAKING NEWS).
- 46A: Spurning learning (CUTTING CLASS).
- 60A: Discontinuing relations of any kind (SEVERING ALL TIES).
I kinda like this theme. It's a strange looking grid, with a ton of three-letter words and abbreviations, which I'm not crazy about. On the other hand, if you're kind of new to solving I can see where the short answers might help you get a foothold. Let us know in the comments if you thought the three-letter stuff was so easy it was annoying, or if it was more of a welcome relief.
- 15A: California fruit (RAISINS).
- 20A: Server on skates (CARHOP). I never really thought about this word before. Shouldn't it be CARGLIDE. I mean, for CARHOP they should be on … pogo sticks, right? (That would be cool.)
- 49A: Caribbean isl. belonging to France (ST. BARTS).
- 58A: Game in which love is expressed frequently? (TENNIS). Cute clue.
- 5D: Ship's captain (SKIPPER).
- 7D: Apollo's twin sister (ARTEMIS). I heard that when a hunter was caught watching her taking a bath, she turned him into a stag and his own dogs ripped him to shreds. Harsh!
- 8D: Movie girl with "perils" (PAULINE). I do not know what this means.
- 61D: __ de Janeiro (RIO). Olympics!