[Note: This is the puzzle that appears in the Sunday L.A. Times newspaper. If you don't get the paper, you can find the puzzle here. Scroll down to see the write-up of today's syndicated puzzle.]
- 22A: Swift's story of Lemuel's rascally pals? (GULLIVER'S VARLETS [travels]).
- 34A: Faulkner's grime story? (AS I LAY DINGY [dying]).
- 51A: Dreiser's story of Elvis? (AN AMERICAN GYRATED [tragedy]).
- 70A: Tolkien's story of a cheerful aristocrat? (THE LORD OF THE GRINS [rings]).
- 85A: O'Hara's story of Middle East extremism? (A RAGE TO VEIL [live]).
- 101A: Fitzgerald's story of a sore spot? (TENDER IS THE THING [night]).
- 15D: Doctorow's story of renunciation? (THE BOOK OF DENIAL [Daniel]).
- 40D: Hemingway's space junket story? (A FAREWELL TO MARS [arms]).