August 27, 2011
Kyle T. Dolan
Good morning, gang. I'm pretty sure there will come a point in the next 24 hours or so where my power goes out and I have a few things to do before that happens. So let's take a quick run through this puzzle and get on with other things. Lots of good stuff in this grid. My favorite entries are HANG TIME, SKYPED, and ROCK BALLAD (7A: Seconds in the air, to punters / 56A: Phoned on a computer, in technospeak / 4D: Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven," e.g.). Stuff I just flat-out didn't know includes:
- 20A: Second crop of a growing season (ROWEN). You would think having grown up in the midwest I would know the farm-related jargon, but no.
- 37A: New Jersey river (RARITAN).
- 20D: "__ to the Top": Keni Burke song (RISIN'). Who? Oh, wait a minute. This slow jam sounds a little familiar to me.
- 1A: Gum with a jingle that began, "So kiss a little longer" (BIG RED). Thanks for the earworm.
- 34A: Calls at home (BALLS AND STRIKES). Baseball!
- 48A: Air Force pilot who became a pop star (DON HO). Who knew?
- 14D: Rose point (EAST). This is a reference to a compass rose. If you don't know what that is, for God's sake, Google it.
- 30D: Married couple? (ARS). And if you don't understand this one, take a look at the crosswordese round-up down at the bottom of this post. Down there, you'll see that the word ARS is a link and if you click on it you'll be magically transported to a day in the past where this type of tricky entry was explained, in this case by the lovely and talented Orange.
- 49D: Object of ogling (HUNK). Okay, this is funny. It didn't occur to me for a minute that women would be oglers. I'm always a little startled when my brain does that to me. It's like that old riddle with the doctor ("This boy is my son!") that makes you really think about assumptions and the fact that we, ya know, have them. Even if we don't think we do.
Crosswordese 101 Round-up:
- 36A: Etta James classic (AT LAST).
- 10D: Fed personnel (G-MEN).
- 23D: French Revolution figure (MARAT).
- 28D: Co-composer of "Johnny's Theme" (ANKA).
- 30D: Married couple? (ARS).
- 32D: Cantina cooker (OLLA).