March 20, 2011
[Note: This is the syndicated L.A. Times puzzle. It does not appear in the actual newspaper, but is available for free at cruciverb.com.]
Theme: "New B-ginnings" — The title says it all. Add a "B" sound to the beginnings of familiar phrases to get wacky theme entries.
- 24A: Result of the cock's crow? (BROOD AWAKENING). [rude awakening]
- 38A: "Bungling for Dummies," e.g.? (BONERS MANUAL). [owner's manual]
- 59A: Shindig for Swahili VIPs? (BWANA DANCE). [wanna dance?]
- 83A: Bedbugs on the Orient Express? (BERTH WORMS). [earthworms]
- 97A: Bird with a tan? (BROWNED ROBIN). [round robin]
- 119A: Hibernation luxuries? (BEAR MATTRESSES). [air mattresses]
- 3D: "$#%^*& geckos!"? (BLEEPING LIZARDS). [leaping lizards!]
- 47D: Prize for an inn's best guest? (BOARDER OF THE DAY). [order of the day]
BLEEPING LIZARDS is awesome, and I like BROWNED ROBIN too. No comment on BONERS MANUAL.
Sorry, no bullets today, but I'll be back with a full Sunday write-up next weekend. Have fun in the comments & I'll see you later.
Crosswordese 101 Round-up:
- 33A: At one time, once (ERST).
- 46A: "Voice of Israel" author (EBAN).
- 62A: Sch. whose mascot is Rhody the Ram (U.R.I.).
- 78A: Child expert LeShan (EDA).
- 86A: Toon Chihuahua (REN).
- 8D: Avis adjective (RARA).
- 40D: Oklahoma's "Wheat Capital" (ENID).
- 43D: "Young Frankenstein" role (IGOR).
- 54D: "My Way" lyricist (ANKA).
- 69D: Gator follower? (ADE).
- 115D: Canadian gas (ESSO).
- 121D: Past fast flier (SST).