Theme: Combo Meal — Theme answers are common food (and drink) pairs.
- 16A: Breakfast pair (COFFEE AND DONUTS). With the D and the N in place, I entered coffee and danish at first.
- 24A: Lunch pair (SOUP AND SANDWICH).
- 41A: Dinner pair (MEAT AND POTATOES). And don't mix 'em together. (That's my grandpa's rule — the man never ate pizza in his life.)
- 54A: Evening ball game snack pair (BEER AND PRETZELS).
This is a great, solid Tuesday puzzle. Nothing particularly flashy, but not a huge reliance on crosswordese and awkward fill. Not too hard, not too easy. Very smooth — which is exactly what we're looking for on Tuesday. The only real problem I had with this puzzle is that I was hungry and had already decided it was too late to eat when I solved it. Figures it would be all about food. I need to manage my meal schedule a little better.
- 19A: Apt to shy, as a horse (SKITTISH). Now this is a great word. Another great horse-temperament-related word is fractious.
- 32A: Don, as apparel (PUT ON). Fa la la la la la la la la.
- 46A: Fancy burger beef (ANGUS). Sort of wanted an AC/DC clue here. But maybe that's just me.
- 2D: Understand, in slang (GROK). Pretty sure I learned this word from Orange.
- 10D: __ Julia, who played Gomez Addams (RAUL). Several years ago RAUL started to be clued more and more often as Fidel Castro's brother. I remember commenting over at Rex's blog something like, "What ever happened to Raul Julia?" Of course someone responded that he had died several years previous, which I knew. I was really just asking why he wasn't in the puzzle so much any more.
- 14D: Football's "Prime Time" Sanders (DEION). Love me some sports nicknames. Sweetness, Charlie Hustle, Dr. J. I especially like the ones that are said in between the athlete's first and last names. I have no idea if I actually like the guy himself, but Evander "The Real Deal" Holyfield has an awesome nickname.
- 37D: Where to see wild animals in cages (AT THE ZOO). Not a particularly in-the-language phrase, but I like it anyway. It kind of surprised me. Fortunately in a way that made me chuckle.
- 40D: "America's Funniest Home Videos" host Bob (SAGET). If you like completely disgusting humor, you should really see "The Aristocrats." Bob Saget has never been funnier. (But, seriously, you have to get through some pretty repulsive stuff to get to his part in the movie.)
- 56D: Brylcreem bit (DAB). A little dab'll do ya!