Hey, everybody. It's 8:20 p.m. here in Virginia and today's calendar puzzle hasn't been posted to the L.A. Times website yet. If/when it does show up, I'll post the results grid and probably an abbreviated write-up.
[UPDATED Monday Afternoon]
Well, the puzzle is finally available online. An ambitious theme and enjoyable solve (with one exception — oppugn???), but I'm not going to write it up because ... well ... it's already time to get started on tomorrow's puzzle!
Theme: "Start at the End" — The last word of each theme answer is added to the first word of its clue to make a familiar phrase.
- 24A: Head start? (SOME LIKE IT HOT) = hothead.
- 37A: Don't start? (MILK AND HONEY) = "Honey Don't." Hadn't heard of this — it's a song by Carl Perkins that has been covered by the Beatles.
- 64A: Jump start? (ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH) = high jump.
- 93A: False start? (TRIED AND TRUE) = true/false.
- 108A: Fresh start? (DOWN ON THE FARM) = farm fresh.
- 17D: Cold start? (NOTHING IN COMMON) = common cold.
- 39D: Kick start? (SHOP TILL YOU DROP) = dropkick.